I am just experimenting with various portfolio-building tools right now.
I am a versatile leader who excels at building teams and leading through change. In my 16-year career, I have held positions of increasing responsibility at companies as big as Sun Microsystems and as small as a 10-person start-up. My early experiences as a software developer and as a QA Engineer give me the technical insight that I need to be an effective Quality Assurance Manager.
Pitney Bowes | Boulder CO
October 2011 - Current | Software Solutions QA Advisor
• Currently, I coach QA Engineers on testing in an Agile environment, collection/creation of test data, writing test plans and cases, and automated tool selection.
• I also write Selenium WebDriver tests for a new customer analytics web application that will be released later this year.
January 2009 – October 2011 | Manager of QA and User Experience
• I was responsible for taking user experience from an after-thought to an integrated, valued part of the Agile software development process in a global organization of 1700 people.
• Under my leadership, the team grew from 1 person to 12 people. I created a close, collaborative team even though the team members were spread across North America, India and the U.K.
January 2007 – January 2009 | QA Manager, Customer Data Quality
• I managed a team of 8 QA Engineers, who were located in Texas, Maryland and India.
• I drove Development and QA to use QTP and JMeter to automate a considerable amount of testing.
• I worked with my team to establish quality standards and practices, including setup of real customer environments to find more defects before shipment.
February 2004 - January 2007 | Senior Quality Assurance Engineer
• As a member of a SCRUM team, and later as Scrum Master, I wrote Java, C++ and C programs to test the APIs of several GIS libraries.
• I mentored other QA Engineers on test automation, test harness usage and code coverage tools.
Media Marketing | Boulder CO
October 2002 – November 2003 | Quality Assurance Engineer
As the first QA person to join this start-up, I procured and implemented a defect-tracking system, established software quality standards, created a Beta program and routinely reported measurements of the software’s quality.
Team Labs | Boulder CO
October 2000 – February 2002 | Java Developer
• I designed and implemented GUIs (using JDK 1.2 and Swing) that allowed students to collect and manipulate data from various hardware devices used in science experiments.
• I created InstallShield (Windows) and InstallAnywhere (Mac) installers for the product.
Medtronic | Broomfield CO
May 1998 – June 1999 | Java Developer
• I developed a medical imaging application GUI in Java, using Swing and AWT.
• I worked closely with neurosurgeons to improve the quality and feature set of the application.
Sun Microsystems | Colorado Springs and Broomfield CO
June 1996 – May 1998 | Java Developer
I was a Java developer working on a software and hardware inventory application.
May 1994 – June 1996 | Software Tester
In this role, I performed manual and automated testing (using QA Partner) of Solaris system administration software.
2003 | M.S. in Computer Science, Colorado Technical University
1994 | B.A. in Mathematics and Computer Science, Colorado College
Awards and Accolades
Certifications and Awards
• Award for leadership of a Voice of the Customer initiative, 2009, Pitney Bowes
• Customer Data Quality Line-of-Business Manager of the Year, 2007, Pitney Bowes
• Speaker at the 2007 IIST Conference on Practical Software Quality and Testing
• Scrum Master Certification, 2006, Rally Software Development
• Certified Software Test Professional (CSTP), 2005, International Institute for Software Testing