Tobi Asmoucha is a photographer based out of Toronto, who does a mix of commercial and editorial photography, along with private commissions primarily on location. Her images explore themes of community and the rituals that bind them. She has been working as a freelance photographer since 1992, with images appearing in publications such as Canadian Geographic. Her documentary work has received a National Magazine Award and many nominations, as well as Ontario Arts Council, and Toronto Jewish Arts Council grants. Along with her photographic practice Asmoucha teaches photography at the Haliburton School of Art, and Gallery 44. Currently Asmoucha is a core member of PhotoSensitive, with her work in collections at MOCCA and the Canadian War Museum.
• Editorial client list: Canadian Geographic 1997-2012, Toronto Life 1997-2007, Cottage Life 2007, Our Kids 1999-2012, Comfort Life 2012-2013, The Torch 2008-2011, The Ark 2008-2011, The Jerusalem Report 2007, ON Nature/Seasons 2003-2013, Saturday Night 1997-1998, Canadian Aviator 2005, Fifty-Five Plus 2010, Golf Canada 2003-2004, National Post 2000, National Post Business 1999-2000, Elevate 2003-2005, Town & Country 2001, Elm Street 2000, Money Sense 1999, Vancouver Magazine 1995-1998, EnRoute 1998-1999, Cracker 2001-2002, Images 1998, Where Toronto 2002.
• Non profit clients: Women’s College Hospital, Queen’s University, University of British Columbia, Lung Association, Havergal College, Nature Conservancy of Canada, Friends of the Greenbelt, GlaxoSmithKline Foundation, Toronto Botanical Garden, Laidlaw Foundation, Na’amat Canada, Safehaven, Ontario Federal Council, Olympic Aid, CNIB, United Way, Pickering College, Emagine.
• Corporate clients: HOOPP, Mayhew, Loblaws, MCI Canada, Dundee Securities, Market Connections, Kamada Birdseye, Inco, MacDonald’s, Ontario Cancer Biomarker Network, Community Lifecare Management Inc., Stonebrook Condominiums.
Awards and Accolades
• 2010 Black and White Spider Awards Nominee people category.
• 2004 Gold Award – Words and Pictures, National Magazine Awards, “Arrivals”, Toronto Life.
• 2003 Finalist – Words and Pictures, National Magazine Awards, “Little Kabul”, Toronto Life.
• 2009 Toronto Life Contact 2009: 50 Best Bets for “Legions” exhibition.
• 2000 Winner in Applied Arts Magazine Photo/Illustration Contest, Toronto, ON.
• 1999 Winner in Applied Arts Magazine Photo/Illustration Contest, Toronto, ON.
• 1999 Honorable mention for photography, Toronto Outdoor Art Exhibition.
• 1998 Silver Photojournalism and Merit Award from the Advertising and Design Club of Canada, “Life on Parade” in Canadian Geographic, and “Saturday Nights” in Saturday Night.
• 1998 Finalist twice – Photojournalism, National Magazine Awards, “Life on Parade” in Canadian Geographic, and “Saturday Nights” in Saturday Night.
• 1997 Marion McKenzie Best Photography Award, Toronto Outdoor Exhibition.
• 1994 and 1991 Studio Magazine Photographic Award Winner.