With six years of professional experience in production and art education, and with a recent Master of Arts in Illustration. My unique background combines hands-on knowledge of such core graphic design tools as Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and Dreamweaver with a broad artistic skill set across the spectrum of traditional art media and craft techniques. A sample of my achievements includes:
• Completing a well-received Master’s project in character concept art illustration and full design development for a novel-to-feature film adaptation.
• Serving as an Instructional Design Intern for the UK’s National Design Academy.
• Three years as a junior high school Art Teacher focused on developing and facilitating lesson plans that utilized a discipline based art education approach of aesthetics, criticism, history, studio and visual culture.
• Assisting in screen printing, embroidery, and other production needs of a small local provider of promotional products.
• Partnering with a writer in the creation of multiple dynamic character concepts during the planning phase of the Might and Magic X video game.
Might and Magic X, Signature Promotions Inc., Woodside Homes, VIDA
Creative art professional with more than six years experience in production and art education roles. Master’s degree in illustration with emphasis in concept art and character design.
Game Concept Art | 2012 Broadview Entertainment Arts University (BEAU), Salt Lake City, Utah
Master of Arts in Illustration | 2011 Nottingham Trent University, Nottingham, United Kingdom
Master’s Project: Character Design for Ender’s Game Novel-to-Feature Film Adaptation
Bachelor of Visual Arts in Art Education | 2006 Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah
Special emphasis on Commercial Art/Graphic Design
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
Illustration | Graphic Design | Production Art | Character Art | Concept Art | Print Production | Production Support | Screen Printing | Design Concepts & Layout Mockups | Promotional Items | Project Management Time Management | Team Collaboration
FREELANCE GRAPHIC DESIGNER
Woodside Homes, Salt Lake City, Utah | Spring 2012-Present
• Create and maintain print collateral of floor plans, features and price sheets for the company’s major housing divisions
• Update collateral and maintain file system
• Collaborate with marketing communications manager in branding and designing online and print ad campaigns
LEAD CONCEPT ARTIST
Might and Magic X, Telecommute | Summer 2011
• Partnered with Lead Designer and Executive Producer in creating multiple dynamic character concepts during the early planning phase of the Might and Magic X video game
INSTRUCTIONAL DESIGN INTERN
National Design Academy, Nottingham, United Kingdom | Fall 2011
• Managed the upload and formatting of new course lessons into Adobe Captivate instructional software system
• Created graphic design mockups for both new Captivate lessons and for the Academy’s Website
• Researched and developed interactive Flash PDF style “page flip” unit glossaries and trained design team in effective use of this new approach
Nebo School District / Diamond Fork Jr. High, Spanish Fork, Utah | 2007-2010
• Developed and facilitated lesson plans that introduced a wide-range of art-making techniques, art theories, and art history to students in a hands-on classroom
• Served as a go-to collaborator with faculty across departments in creating and integrating art education into the school’s diverse curriculum
• Played a leadership role within this highly collaborative faculty in increasing achievement scores by a landmark 80% over just 4 terms
• Designed and illustrated artwork for use in other departments’ curriculum
Signature Promotions, Orem, Utah | 2005-2007
• Consulted with customers to ensure promotional products met client budget, schedule, and marketing needs
• Set-up, ran, and troubleshot the screen printing and embroidery machines
• Provided production and administrative support to the Designer and Production Manager
• Designed multiple company advertisements for placement in a local business magazine
• Improved the organization and accessibility of embroidery designs and thread libraries with the implementation of a new filing system
• Implemented improved processes in efficiency and management flow
• Managed inventory
Adobe Photoshop | Illustrator | InDesign | Captivate | Dreamweaver | MS Office Suite: Word, PowerPoint Painter | Keynote | iMovie | Final Cut | Mac OSX | Windows XP/2000/7 | Ceramics | Painting | Photography
• Participant in Masters Final Show Expo, Nottingham Trent University, July 2011
• Student University Representative, Nottingham Trent University 2010-2011
• Student to Faculty Liaison, Nottingham Trent University Design Course, 2010-2011
• Teachers Assistant for Multimedia course, Orem High School, 2001
• Co-editor and regular contributor for literary arts magazine, Argus
Awards and Accolades
MA Project Commendation