Writer/director with long experience in music videos (180 and counting), commercials, Film and TV. Received the Grammy's, MTV, Billboard and Univision Premios Lo Nuestro Awards and has worked with superstars ranging from Shakira, Alejandro Sanz, Lila Downs, and Ricky Martin to Johnny Cash, Vanessa Williams, AlIison Krauss, Jon Hassell and Academy-Award Composer Gustavo Santaolalla to name a few.
He has directed 100 + commercials and campaigns for Coke, Pepsi, HSBC, McDonald's, Samsung, Dr Pepper, Astra Zeneca, Kellogg's, Kimberley Clark and P&G. He has just finished promos for Telemundo's LA VOZ (THE VOICE) KIDS with X-Factor's star Paulina Rubio and Prince Royce.
He wrote and directed, "Destins Croisés", a short thiller shot in Quebec, Canada. He also directed the feature film "Volverte a Ver",(See You Again, Romantic Comedy - Mex 2008-9) and was hired by Sony Pictures Television International to write and develop an action-thriller for Latin America.
He recently finished writing CRISIS, a visceral, character-driven drama about how a group of NYC Emergency Service Dispatchers cope with the agonizing life and death situations they face 24/7.
Gustavo also wrote two original TV pilots (GONE POSTAL! -single cam. half-hour dramedy and BIOSPHERE 3.1, a sci-fi drama) in addition to the original character-driven drama, THE EXILE, a top-finalist in the Final Draft Big Break International Screenplay Contest.
He wrote screen adaptations of the award-winning underground graphic novel/comic book "PALOMAR" (A LOVE & ROCKETS story) by Gilbert Hernandez and FILE No. 6353 based on the novel NO ONE WILL SEE ME CRY by Cristina Rivera Garza.
Reached the semifinals of the Chesterfield Writing Competition with NAHUEL'S DREAMS, a human rights drama of two small children searching for justice in Latin America.
Currently developing two feature dramas and writing an action-thriller for TV.
Specialties: Directed in US., Canada, Spain, Mexico, Argentina, Panama & Brazil.
UPN, Telemundo, HSBC, Volkswagen, Coca-Cola, Pepsi, McDonald's, Samsung, Kellogg's, P&G, Astra Zeneca, 7UP, Dr Pepper, Kimberly-Clark, Sony Music, Sony Pictures Television International, Universal Music Group, Warner Music, Jive Records, WalMart, EMI Music, etc.
About the Writer/Director/Producer An award-winning Latino writer/director, Gustavo has a very wide range of scripts both for feature films and Television. He was hired as head writer by Sony Pictures Television International to develop and write an action/thriller, now in development.
Produced Screenplays • DESTINS CROISÉS (CROSSED DESTINIES), short. 13 min. Dark Comedy/Thriller, Canada, 2012. Writer/ Director/ Producer The lives of three wannabe gangsters spin out of control when they encounter a mysterious old woman crawling in the street.
• VOLVERTE A VER (See You Again) – 103 min. Romantic Comedy, Mex, 2008 – Screen Adaptation/ Director/Editor. A successful fashion designer falls in love with a radio host and a beautiful reporter not knowing she’s the same woman. Completed Projects
• FAITH (action/thriller), Head Writer, Feature Film Screenplay, TV Bible and Series Loglines for SONY PICTURES TELEVISION INTERNATIONAL. A TV series for Latin America, “FAITH” follows a man’s dangerous quest to expose sinister organizations in South America.
• THE EXILE (drama), Feature Film Screenplay. When a criminal judge is diagnosed with Alzheimer’s, he abandons his family to repair his damaged past... before it vanishes. (Top Finalist in Final Draft’s Big Break International Screenwriting Contest 2011, Top 10 % in Austin Film Festival, 2011).
• CRISIS (drama), original TV pilot. A visceral, character-driven drama about how a group of NYC Emergency Service Dispatchers cope with the agonizing life and death situations they face 24/7.
• GONE POSTAL! (dramedy), original TV pilot and Bible. When a liberal, thrice-divorced NYU professor of political science testifies against a mob boss, he must abandon his beloved daughter to go into the witness protection program that lands him inside an Alaska dysfunctional Post Office back room.
• BIOSPHERE 3.1 (sci-fi drama), original TV pilot. Set in 2099, Biosphere 3.1 explores the nature of pain and healing as seen through the eyes of a rebellious 18 year-old A.I. (Artificial Intelligence) locked inside a hermetically sealed Holistic rehab ecosystem, who must fight her addiction to kill or surrender to the newly found love she feels for her next victim.
• PALOMAR (dark comedy/thriller), Feature Film Screenplay, Screen Adaptation from the Gilbert Hernandez’s LOVE AND ROCKETS Graphic Novel /Comic Book. When the hot-blooded, rebellious wife of a ruthless drug lord escapes to a lost Central American village seeking a peaceful new beginning, her life becomes a living hell by the eccentric inhabitants who worship her but also from the assassins sent to wipe everybody out.
• FILE No.6353 (drama), Feature Film Screenplay. Screen Adaptation from award-winning novel “No One Will See Me Cry”, by Cristina Rivera Garza. A down and out aristocrat moonlighting as a portrait photographer in a mental asylum risks his own downfall to rescue the rebellious woman he loves from insanity. But, is her madness real?
• NAHUEL’S DREAMS (drama), Feature Film Screenplay. Semi-finalist, Chesterfield Screenwriting Competition. After witnessing the brutal murder of his parents, a little boy escapes the military with his blind friend and his shaman grandfather while finding refuge in his uncanny dream world.
• “TOXIC” - BREAKING BAD -spec (drama), from AMC TV series. Skyler’s baby daughter is kidnapped by El Escorpion Salamanca, (Tuco’s older brother), while she’s having sex at work with Ted, her boss. Walt comes to a violent confrontation with Jesse after learning Walter Jr. and friends were jailed for buying meth from Skinny Pete, Jesse’s close friend and dealer…all leading to a dramatic showdown at the White House.
• “WEEK 10: GINA –FRIDAY 7 PM” – IN TREATMENT-spec (drama), from HBO TV series. Paul, on the verge of a breakdown after a traumatic week ending in an MRI, comes apart when Kate shows unexpectedly interrupting his already tumultuous session with Gina. Currently Working On • THE BROKEN SHAPE OF THOUGHT (drama) - Feature Film Screenplay. • AMNESIA (thriller). Feature Film Screenplay. • THE ENVOY (drama). Original TV pilot. • THE PLAGUE OF LIGHTHOUSE KEEPERS (drama) – Feature Film Screenplay. • SADIE AND ELIJAH (drama). Original TV pilot. Education/ Seminars • TV Storywise Spec and Pilot Tele-Seminars, w/ Jen Grisanti - March-June 2010 • TV Storywise Seminar-Gearing up for Staffing and Dev. Season, w/ Jen Grisanti - Feb 2010 • TV Storywise Pitch and Pilot Seminar, w/ Jen Grisanti - July 2009 • M.F.A, Animation Program, UCLA - 1989-1991 • B.F.A, Film Directing, SUNY College at Purchase, NY - 1983-1988 • Queens College, Liberal Arts Program, CUNY (Dean’s List). - 1982-1983
As Director/Producer Experience – Directing • 23 years as writer/director/Producer of short films, music videos, TV commercials and a Feature Film.
Feature Films • VOLVERTE A VER / “See You Again” , Romantic Comedy - Mexico SDB/BAZOOKA/S.D. FILMS/VIDEOCINE - Direction, Screenplay Adaption, Editing. 2008-9 Film Production Companies (as TV Commercial/ Music Video Director) • CASTA DIVA PICTURES, MIAMI FILM ROLL, CINECONCEPTO USA/ MEXICO, SAVILLE PRODUCTIONS, A BAND APART, ARSENAL FILMS , LA BANDA FILMS, MILAGRO FILMS, PLANET, INC., FILMMATES.
TV Commercials/TV Promos - Director • 100+ TV spots/TV promos for clients such as Paramount TV, McDonald’s, Volkswagen, Coca- Cola, 7-UP, Dr Pepper, Kimberley-Clark, Kellogg’s, HSBC, Procter and Gamble, Pepsi, Nestle, California Health Department, Samsung, Astra-Zeneca, Microsoft, Wal-Mart. Ad Agencies: JWT, Teran TBWA, Leo Burnett Mexico, McCann, BBDO, DDB, Saatchi and Saatchi. Music Videos - Director/Writer/ Editor/Producer • 180 Music Videos for Grammy Award Artists such as Shakira, Ricky Martin, Alejandro Sanz, Mana, Juanes, Lila Downs, Crystal Waters, Vanessa Williams, Johnny Cash, Academy- Award Winner Gustavo Santaolalla, etc.
Music Labels: Warner Brothers, Sony Music, Universal Music Group, Virgin, EMI Group, Jive Rec., Atlantic Rec., Capitol Rec.,Verve/Mercury, BMG, etc. Tie-In Movie Soundtrack music videos: Anastasia, Crazy/Beautiful, Zapata, Dance With Me.
TV / Shows/ Press • Interviews and Work shown in MTV, MTV3, MTV Latino, Mun2, HTV, Univision, Televisa, Telehit, MuchMusic, Channel 22 (Mexico). • Newspapers, Magazine Articles: EL UNIVERSAL, REFORMA, MILENIO, EXCELSIOR, PREMIERE, LOFT, COMPLOT, MARVIN, RIZOMA, TELEMUNDO, ERES (Mexico).
Languages . English, Spanish. Skills/ Software . Film directing, writing, editing. Final Cut Pro, Final Draft, Photoshop.
• Winner Premios Oye 2010, Video of the Year • Winner Latin Grammy, Best Video of the Year 2005 • Winner Premios Lo Nuestro Univision 2006, 2005, 2003, 1996 • Winner MTV Latin America, People’s Awards 2002 • Winner Billboard Latin Music Awards, Pop Video of The Year 1997 • Nominated, Latin Grammy, MTV Latina, Best Video of The Year 2006, 2003, 2002, 2001