Contemporary conceptual painter and art educator Chitra Ramanathan 's career emerged on Broadway's SoHo Gallery District in New York City in 1995, with her now-extensive body of paintings being inspired by the intuitive quality of happiness and expressing happiness in visual form. The theme of her work took shape during an extensive visit to Paris, France in 1992 dedicated to study art, while inspired by Monet's garden in Giverny.
Her work has been widely acquired by individual and corporate sources, as well as invitational site-specific public art commissions that have been based on her unique style. Corporate commissions include the MGM Mirage to create a permanent installation of a pair of signed large-scale paintings inside the Bellagio Hotel, Las Vegas.
In 2005, the artist was invited to the Royal Academy of Arts, London UK as Visitor Artist for a visual presentation of her body of work and to conduct student tutorials at the RA Schools, an invitation from the then-Head of the Royal Academy of Arts.
Chitra Ramanathan earned her Bachelors degree in Painting with Honors from the School of Art and design at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Illinois. She received her M.B.A from the same institution in 1997.
Complete biography, images of available and acquired/commissioned originals at page:http://www.facebook.com/ChitraRamanathanPaintings.
MGM Mirage, Las Vegas 2004: Invitational site-specific public art commission to create a pair of paintings measuring 4 ft wide, 6 feet high on permanent installation inside the Bellagio Hotel, Las Vegas.
Washington Township School District, Indianapolis 2008: Commissioned to create a permanent wall mural for children measuring 13.8 feet wide, 4 feet high in the front lobby of Crooked Creek Elementary School, Indianapolis. Completed in April 2008
Arts Council of Indianapolis 2007: Commissioned to create 5 large-scale paintings of varied sizes for a six-month display in Chase Towers, downtown Indianapolis.
CHITRA RAMANATHAN 1601 West Sandpointe Lane Vero Beach, Florida 32963 Telephone: 317.223.1823 E-mail: email@example.com
Art Faculty, Art School at the Vero Beach Museum of Art, Vero Beach, Florida 2011-Present
Art Faculty, Painting, Indianapolis Art Center, Indianapolis, Indiana 2004-2010
PROFESSIONAL ARTIST RESIDENCIES:
Self-directed Artist Residency with exhibition: Studio Internazionale di Grafica, Venice, Italy: July-August 2012
Self-directed Artist Residency- Marnay sur Seine, France: Invitation by Artistay.org and grant by Camac.org, France – April 2010
* University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, Illinois Master of Business Administration Concentration: Arts Administration & Human Resources M.B.A Internship: New Museum of Contemporary Art, Broadway, New York, June-August 1996 1997 * University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, Illinois
Bachelor of Fine Arts (Honors) Major: Painting 1993 FOREIGN STUDY Paris and Giverny, France Contemporary French Art History, and Painting (Studio) 1992
Parkland College, Champaign, Illinois, USA
Advanced Web Design 1999
SELECTED INEDPENDENT INVITATIONAL VISITING ARTIST LECTURES:
Royal Academy of Arts, London, United Kingdom: Visitor Artist, (Visual Presentation of Body of Work and Student Tutorials) at RA Schools: October 2005
Visiting Artist, Kansas State University Department of Art, Manhattan, Kansas, U.SA -November 2002
•Faculty exhibition, Vero Beach Museum of Art, Florida USA 2016 – January 16-February 11, 2016
Monthly exhibition of Paintings, Artist Guild Gallery, Vero Beach Florida USA - 2015
•Guest Artist Solo exhibition, MSVB Gallery, Main Street Vero Beach, Florida USA: August 2014.
•Month-long Solo exhibition, Darby Fine Art Gallery, Vero Beach, Florida USA: March 2013
•Faculty Exhibitions: Vero Beach Museum of Art, 2012-2014
Residency exhibition, Studio Internazionale di Graficia, Venice Italy 2012
•Atelier East 5th Annual Summer Exhibition, Wisbech & Fenland Museum, Cambridge shire, United Kingdom.: August - September 2010
• Art End Now Gallery: "Unwrap Your Mind" International Art Exhibition, Hong Kong. August 2010
•Exhibition of selected work, Office of the Mayor Greg Ballard, Indianapolis, Indiana, U.S.A: July-December 2010
•Solo exhibition, GALLERY SEVEN: Pike Performing Arts Center, Indianapolis, Indiana, U.S.A. June -July 2010.
•Annual Faculty Exhibition: Indianapolis Art Center, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA. September-October 2007
•Solo Exhibition: “Chitra Ramanathan: Retrospective Exhibition of Recent Paintings”, the Indianapolis Artsgarden, Indiana, USA. January 1-31, 2006
“Naturally Inspired” En plein air painting exhibition, White River Gardens, Indianapolis, U.S.A. September 1-November 19, 2006
•”Impromptu Show”, 4 Star Gallery Indianapolis, Indiana, U.S.A. April 2006
•Annual Faculty Exhibition: Indianapolis Art Center, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA. August 26-September 29, 2005
•"Nine", Exhibition of Paintings, Springer Cultural Center, Champaign, Illinois, USA.
•FREE GALLERY, "MAJORITY RULES!" (Part 1) Slide Exhibition of Paintings, Glasgow, United Kingdom
•"ARTISTS AGAINST AIDS" 2002 Tenth Annual Exhibition & Benefit Show, Champaign, Illinois, USA: Paintings /Prints February 26-March 17, 2003
April 18-30, 2003
June 24-July 27, 2002
April 19-May 4, 2002
•*INTERNTIONAL GALLERIES, Urbana, Illinois, USA: Paintings August 18-September 14, 2001
•*MONTSERRAT GALLERY SoHo, Broadway, New York, USA: Recent Paintings
•AGORA GALLERY SoHo, Broadway, New York, USA: Paintings & Sculpture
April 22-May 10, 1998
November 4-November 18, 1995
•MONTSERRAT GALLERY SoHo, Broadway, New York, USA: Paintings
April 22-May 10, 1997 •*ARC GALLERY/EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION Chicago, Illinois, USA: Paintings, Prints & Sculpture May 31-June 25, 1994
• April 2008: Public Art Commission to create a 13.8 feet wide, 4 feet high wall mural in the front lobby of Crooked Creek Elementary School, Marion County, Indianapolis. Project made possible through a grant to the school by the Washington Township, Indianapolis. Style: My signature style of abstraction. Theme: Global
• August 2006-February 2007: Public Art Installation, “Picture Windows 2006: Urban Interpretations”, venue Chase Towers, Indianapolis. A project by the Arts Council of Indianapolis, supported by the Indianapolis Cultural Development Commission
• 2005: Created set of ten 7 ” x 10 ” postcard paintings for the Department of Art, Florida International University, Miami Florida, USA, event coinciding with Art Basel Miami 2005.
• 2005: Set of ten 6.5" X 5" paintings, Indianapolis Art Museum/Arts Park "Gallery of the Machine" project
• 2004: Created two 4' X 6' paintings for the MGM Mirage, on permanent display inside the Conservatory Gardens of the Bellagio, Las Vegas
•Member, Americans for the Arts
•Associate member, S1 Artspace, Sheffield, United Kingdom
•Member, Committee for Cultural Diversity Practices, The College Art Association of America, New York City, New York, USA 2007-2010
•Member, Services to Artists Committee, The College Art Association of America, New York City, New York, USA 2003-2006
Forthcoming: (Biography/image Title: International Contemporary Artists Vol.1 Publisher: In. Co. Artists Books US: 9 Columbus Avenue, NYC, NY 10024, US EU: Athens Towers, 2-4 Messogion Av. Athens 115 27, GREECE. Release Date: October 2010
•Abstract, College Art Association 96th Annual Conference 2008, Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas, USA: Art History Session Topic Presentation: "World Art: A Panhuman Narrative for Egalitarian Teaching": Chitra Ramanathan, Co Chair, College Art Association 96th Annual Conference, Committee on Diversity Practices. February 22, 2008
•Biography Chitra Ramanathan, 62nd Edition of Marquis’ Who’s Who in America, 2008
•Biography and artwork of Chitra Ramanathan, “The Artists Bluebook 2004, Directory of American Artists from the 16th Century to August 2004"- by Lonnie Pierson Dunbier, Editor. From www.askART.com "Books on this artist"
• 2006 Viewers Choice Award, Exhibition, Print Gallery, Indianapolis, Indiana Viewers’ Choice Award, “Impromptu Show “ 4 Star Gallery, Indianapolis
• 2004 Commission by the MGM Mirage, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
1995 “Outstanding Achievement in the Painting Discipline,” Product Grant Award, LIQUITEX Excellence in Art, Binney & Smith, Inc., Makers of Crayola Crayons
•1994 “Outstanding Achievement in the Painting Discipline” Product Grant Award, LIQUITEX Excellence in Art, Binney & Smith, Inc., Makers of Crayola Crayons
REVIEWS & ARTICLES (* Indicates articles)
• * Gallery 7 at the Pike Performing Arts Center Indianapolis presents “Formless forms”, a solo exhibition of paintings by Chitra Ramanathan June 10, 2010
• * IndyStar.com: Second Annual Spotlight Art @Clowes Showcases Six Multicultural Artists, Theme of Courage and Hope By Lisa Vielee “News from You”, April 13, 2010
• * Indianapolis Fun City Finder: Chitra Ramanathan: Freelance Indianapolis artist and art educator by Katelyn Coyne on February 17, 2010. Sections: Arts, People
• * Profile: “Rendezvous Artist”, Profile Article, Indianapolis Star Newspaper’s Fishers|Geist Magazine, July/August 2007
• * ”Paintings Give Form to the Ephemeral”, interview/profile, Indianapolis Business Journal, Women in Business Section, April 9-15, 2007
•*Indianapolis Monthly Home Magazine, Profile: “Secret Success”, July 2006
• CAA News, Newsletter of the College Art Association, NYC; Volume 30, Number 5, "Solo Exhibition by Artist Members", September 2005
• * PR WEB Worldwide Press Release, “The Artist Chitra Ramanathan to Lecture at the Royal Academy of Arts, London, UK” September 25, 2005
• * “Artist Chitra Ramanathan receives Hotel Bellagio Las Vegas Commission”, University of Illinois Alumni Newsletter, August 2005
• *Awards and Grants, People in the News, CAA News, Newsletter of the College Art Association, NYC; November 2004
• * PR WEB Worldwide Press Release, December 9, 2004
• * PR WEB Worldwide Press Release, October 27, 2004
• * Academe, People in the News, CAA News, Newsletter of the College Art Association, New York City, Volume 29, Number 4, July 2004
• * "Happy Art", Melissa Merli, Staff Writer, The Champaign-Urbana News Gazette, Champaign, Illinois, USA. Sunday, February 23, 2003
• CAA News, "Solo Exhibition by Artist Members", November 2001
• * The Champaign-Urbana News Gazette, "New Exhibition Series Opens at the Springer Cultural Center, 2000
• * Krish Krishnan, "CHITRA RAMANATHAN" KALA Arts Quarterly, Toronto, Canada, January 2000
• * Levina Melwani, New York Correspondent, India Today Magazine, New York, USA. “IN PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS”, May 1998
• * Louis Rodriguez Aranguren, “PINTORA HINDU CHITRA RAMANATHAN SEDUCE A NEW YORK CON EL EMBRUJO DEL COLOR Y ALEGORIAS METAFISCAS” ("Hindu Painter Chitra Ramanathan Seduces New York with enchantment of color and metaphysical allegories") Nosotros Magazine, New York, USA. April 1995
• * “Midwest Artist Slates Show in N.Y”, India Abroad Magazine, USA. March 31 1995
• * Claude LeSuer, “Six Original Talents at Montserrat Gallery”, ARTSPEAK, New York USA.1995
• * Gordon Dane, “Reviews & Previews” Manhattan Arts International, New York, USA. Autumn, 1995
• * “UI Fine Art Student Wins Grant”, Features Section; University of Illinois News in Brief, The Champaign-Urbana News Gazette, Champaign, Illinois USA. May 14 1995
• *Gisele Atterberry, “Complexities Abound in ‘Simple’ Works”, the Champaign-Urbana News Gazette, Illinois, USA. December 3 1993
• * “Chitra Ramanathan: About the Artist”, Gallery 105, Champaign, Illinois, USA December 1992
•AirVan Consulting, Inc. Virginia, USA
•Madam C.J. Walker Theater Center, Indianapolis, Indiana
•MGM Mirage Design Group, Las Vegas, Nevada
•The College of Medicine, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Illinois, USA
•The University of Illinois Foundation, Urbana-Champaign, Illinois, USA
•Private collection, Lisbon, Portugal, Europe
•Several private collections around the United States, Europe, India