I am a commercial artist, specializing in logo design, custom lettering and typography, and graphic design for business cards, and all other forms of corporate identity, developing brands, packaging, book covers, and so on, all with strong custom graphics. I approach hand lettering, logo design and illustration with a combination of spontaneity and control. I use various techniques and design elements, from calligraphic to geometric, from lettering to typography, alphabet to image, so as to balance the function of the art, the needs of the client. I do not limit myself to one style.. Rather, my approach to design is one of variety, to explore the most appropriate solutions, as per initial client briefing. This can indicate a very specific area, as in the refinement and upgrading of a particular logo, or, on the other hand the initial sketches could require a wide range of different solutions to a design problem. The direction that ends up getting chosen by my client may be rough edged, or smooth and sensual, organic or geometric in appearance. Of course, it may be based on imagery rather than letterforms, in the case of an image based logotype, or a line art illustration. Occasionally, more than one style, and/or several design elements may be combined, where appropriate. My artwork almost always starts out hand-drawn, using pens, brushes, or pencils, before being scanned into the computer. Whether I use hand drawing, digital drawing with Bezier curves, or the various colors, filters, and effects available in Illustrator and Photoshop, my goal is to create a graphic that is both original and effective, in communicating what the client desires.
• Victoria’s Secret Beauty • Campbell’s Foods • Microsoft / XBox • Burton Snowboards • Time Inc. • VSP Vision Care • Hain Foods • Spotco • AKA • Bloomingdales • Tavern on the Green Restaurant • B. Dalton Books • The New York Times
Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Dreamweaver, and FontLab.
Graphic designer, freelance. Specialize in lettering, branding, typography and illustration.
School of Visual Art. Teach a course on custom lettering design.
CLIENTS INCUDE • Victoria’s Secret Beauty • Campbell’s Foods • Microsoft / XBox • Burton Snowboards • Time Inc. • VSP Vision Care • Hain Foods • Spotco, for my Broadway show titles • Bloomingdales • Tavern on the Green Restaurant • B. Dalton Books • The New York Times
- Redesigned V8 logo for Campbell’s Foods.
- Designed Microsoft’s XBox, “Hot Rod” faceplate.
- Designed several Victoria’s Secret brand logos, for seasonal product labels, in store promotions, etc..
- Designed and illustrated several pieces for VSP Vision Care, as part of a ad campaign.
- Designed Burton Snowboard’s 2006 line, with pinstriping and custom lettering.
- Designed several Broadway show logos, including “Potted Potter”, “Come Fly Away”, and “Anna in the Tropics”.
- Redesigned B. Dalton corporate logo.
AWARDS & PUBLICATIONS
- Book title design, “THUNDERSTRUCK”, selected for excellence in design. "365: AIGA Annual Design Competition 29”, 2008.
- Work featured in internatioinal magazine publication "Lettering Arts" 1993, 2001, 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012.
- Rockport Publications: "Label Design 3", 1992, "The Creative Stroke", 1992, "The Creative Stroke 2", 1994.
- “New Vintage Type”, Watson-Guptill, 2007.
- “Lettering Arts”, Rizzoli International Publications, 1993.
EDUCATION - Colgate University, Bachelor of Arts Courses and Workshops - School of Visual Arts, Typography and lettering with Ed Benguait, 1984. - Rochester Institute of Technology, Calligraphy Design with Hermann Zapf, 1987. - Pratt Institute, Typography II, plus lettering with Tony DiSpigna. - Society of Scribes, NY workshops, including brush script with Karlgeorg Höfer. More information available on request.
- Michael Jager / Jager DiPaola Kemp Design, 47 Maple St.,Burlington, VT 05401-4784. 802 864 5884, email@example.com.
- Daniel Stark, Stark Design / Agency Orange, 401 Broadway, Suite 1500, New York, NY 10013. 212 228 7110. firstname.lastname@example.org. More available on request.